Volunteer!!

As a child I grew up around nursing homes and retirement homes as my mother is a nurse and has worked at homes for as long as I can remember. I recall going there all the time and there were always a handful of residents who knew my sister and I by name . At special occasions we would go in for visits and I started to realize some people just don't have any family that go see them. And even more there is not often a big budget to do a lot of fun things, so when I heard about the Family Day BBQ at the retirement home where my mom and now my sister work I was amazed at all the volunteers. It was a very successful  event and families came out and enjoyed an afternoon with their loved ones. I know a lot of teems heading to high school this year and since the addition of a required number of volunteer hours to be able to graduate I was very excited for the nursing homes and retirement homes who struggle to get volunteers. This is meaningful with so many rewarding and life lessons to be learnt. I hope students take the time this year to consider putting their volunteer hours into helping out at a local retirement/nursing home  because giving of yourself to help another is what volunteering is all about.






































Comments

Popular Posts